A single-value text input control most commonly used for short text within a form.
Text inputs can be used for prompting the user to enter short, text-based input values such as:
- Email addresses
- Phone numbers
Avoid using text input for potentially multi-line text, like ratings or messages to providers. Use textarea instead.
Text inputs can be developed to display an error on specific input conditions.
Text inputs can be variable width and should align to the content they’re paired with when appropriate.
- Use Title Case for labels
- Use Sentence case for more editorial, instructional placeholder
- Follow normal casing, grammar, and punctuation practices (e.g. use a period for full sentences)
- Adhere to parallel syntax when authoring multiple text fields on a single page / screen
- Edit state: Label must be programmatically connected to input field
- Completed: Valid data entered
- Pressing the tab key moves focus to the text input field
- Focus is received differentiating it from other fields in the form
Screen reader expectations
- Label is read and edit is announced indicating field is ready to receive data. Ex. “First Name, Required, Edit”
- For mobile, floating labels announced by screen reader
- Required field and constraints such as special formatting is announced Ex. “Phone Number, ##########, Edit”